Monday, April 8, 2013

Meet AFP Community Blog's new contributor

- Jennifer Middleton, MD, MPH

Hello!  I’m thrilled to accept AFP’s invitation to join Dr. Lin on this blog.  I thought I’d use this first entry to share a little bit about myself and what you can expect from my posts.

For about 2 and ½ years, I’ve been blogging at The Singing Pen of Doctor Jen.  Many good Family Medicine bloggers were already hard at work when I started in November of 2010, but I thought as a residency educator I might have something different to add to the mix.  I did a two-year full time faculty development fellowship in Pittsburgh before starting my career.  In my fellowship, I learned how to teach and create curricula, how to write and edit, and how to design and implement research.  During my fellowship, I also studied for a Master’s Degree in Public Health (MPH).  Between my faculty development background and my MPH training, I see the world of Family Medicine with a detached eye at times. 

You can expect musings from me about my experiences as a family doctor, a teacher, and even sometimes, a patient.  These stories will hopefully be a backdrop for us to share the challenges and joys of day-to-day Family Medicine.  You will also hear me stridently advocating for Family Medicine as the solution to many of our current healthcare woes. 

I am grateful for the opportunity to share some of these thoughts with you going forward.